Seville December 02, 2020 | The Andalusian company Wellness TechGroup has been awarded the 18 month contract for the Smart and sustainable management of MSW in Santiago de Compostela. The project includes the implementation of innovative technological solutions based on IoT, artificial vision, AI and new connectivity options for the extensive deployment of Smart waste sensors. The project will improve the efficiency of MSW collection more efficient by measuring and analyzing waste parameters as well as increasing citizen participation and involvement, following the core principles of circular economy and Smart Cities.
At the end of 2017, the Santiago de Compostela city council signed a collaboration agreement for the “Smartiago” project with the Spanish Ministry of Economy, Industry and Competitiveness (MEIC), which will use Public Procurement of Innovation (PPI) funding to implement quality services to face the city’s environmental and heritage sustainability challenges. The 6.180.000 M€ budget is 80% co-financed by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) and falls within the framework of Spain’s multi-regional operational program for 2014-2020. The initiative’s main advocate is the city council who is endorsing the initiative from the Department of the Presidency, Institutional Relations and Tourism, and is also backed by the MICINN, in particular by the General Sub-Directorate of Innovation Promotion (SGFI) and the Galician Innovation Agency (GAIN).
The programme aims to solve the city’s challenges in three fundamental areas: Smart and sustainable mobility (Challenge 1), sustainable and intelligent management of Municipal Solid Waste (Challenge 2), and intelligent ornamental lighting for heritage conservation (Challenge 3).
Specific objectives in MSW management
Within the Smartiago project, a budget of € 466,200.00 (excluding taxes) is allocated to the development of a Smart MSW collection system. The aim will be to address the following needs faced by municipal management: increase the city’s waste recovery rate by focusing on the origin of waste separation based on citizen behaviour, and hotel and restaurant habits; audit the current system and introduce innovative technological solutions into waste management, and increasing the number of digitized services offered.
More specifically, the government team has identified 3 fundamental points:
- Smart waste containers for organic solid waste that comply with EU objectives.
- Mobile gamification app that fosters a new form of citizen interaction with the public service, including a rewards system for appropriate MSW disposal and street cleaning, increasing joint responsibility and transparency.
- Communications network that ensures good connectivity between the components described above.
The Wellness TechGroup proposal provides answers to the specific goals of the project with its management software platform, Quamtra Manager. This comprehensive and integrated solution, designed and developed by Wellness TechGroup, consists of the following:
- Smart waste container equipped with environmental sensorization, electronic nose, filling level sensors, access control, detection of inadequate organic waste and integrated scale. The intelligent management module is capable of collecting information on all these elements, as well as analyzing and exploiting the data in real time to enable citizen interaction and municipal management from the platform.
- Mobile gamification app to track user activity, compare it with the rest of the project users, apply techniques that encourage good practices and establish reward policies parameterized for each user profile and managed by the platform.
- Communications network that ensures good connectivity between the previous components.
About Wellness TechGroup
Wellness TechGroup is a high-value technology company with 12 years of experience in the development and implementation of IoT solutions, cybersecurity, Big Data, and artificial intelligence. The company specializes in large scale, multi-vertical projects that include the design, implementation, and operation of integral solutions, including Safe Cities, Clean&Efficient Cities, Smart Destinations, and Connected Industry.
We use our Smart technology to tackle the challenges faced by cities, regions, public service industries, and businesses, and our products are currently implemented in more than 400 cities and 60 countries around the world.
Wellness TechGroup has 100 employees and has an international presence and offices and branches in Spain, Mexico, the United States, Sweden, Germany and Australia.
Its IRIS Sentinel brand addresses comprehensive cybersecurity projects in the Smart world for cities and organizations and WTS Horizon is its division for Sustainable Development projects in the public and private sectors.